66° Nacogdoches, TX
The Student News Site of Nacogdoches High School

Dragon Echo Online

Dragon Echo Online

Dragon Echo Online

Dragons vs. Bulldogs

Dragons Fight Through Fourth Game
Ja’Brandon Chatman
Members of the NHS Cheerleading squad celebrate and run flags after a touchdown in week one’s game against Palestine.

The Nacogdoches Dragon football team took on the number one team in 4A Division 1, Chapel Hill, this past Friday. The Dragons managed to slow the Bulldog’s offense only allowing 42 points, Chapel Hill’s lowest all season, and the Dragons put up the third most against the Bulldogs with 22 points on the night. With the Dragons looking forward to playing the Whitehouse Wildcats this Friday at 7:30 PM at Wildcat stadium, everyone is expecting a showdown to begin district play.

“There’s no point in doing it if you aren’t having fun,“ Head Coach Darby House said. 

There was no shortage of fun in the air Friday night as the Dragons slowly crept up on the Bulldogs of Chapel Hill.

Although it wasn’t enough to pull off a Dragon win, “They are a great group of boys,“ House stated, “it’s our athletes out there, making the plays and doing the right things.“

One standout athlete for the Dragons is wide receiver and cornerback, Jaylan Brown, who House says is “ an awesome leader and role model,“ averages 104.5 receiving yards per game this season and leads the team in touchdowns taking in 6 for the Dragons over the past four games.

Whitehouse will be playing in front of their home crowd with a 3-1 record after dropping the ball against North Forney in week one. Nacogdoches enters week five with a 2-2 record.

“I’m glad people pick us to lose, because it means it’s more fun when we beat ‘em,” House said.

2023 SEASON STAT LEADERS(4 GAMES):

Receiving Y/G Jaylan Brown 104.5

Rushing Y/G James Williams 59.5

Total TDs Jaylan Brown 6

Tackles/G Braxton Jones 14.3

Sacks/G Andrew Rodgers 4.0

INT Yoshiro Parks 1

Passing TDs Mikail Lockett 10